Agüero sends Guardiola clear message ahead of PSG clash
Struggles for fitness and form have left Sergio Aguero playing a bit-part role at Manchester City but he scored a sublime goal at Palace.
Sergio Aguero reminded Pep Guardiola that he is "always ready" for action, even as his Manchester City career winds down.
Knee and hamstring problems on the back of meniscus surgery last June have hindered Aguero during his 10th and final season at the Etihad Stadium.
However, the Argentina striker produced some of his vintage best on Saturday, taking a single touch to control Benjamin Mendy's cross before netting a blistering half-volley to open the scoring in City's 2-0 win at Crystal Palace.
The result means Guardiola's side are within two points of the Premier League title and their status as champions will be confirmed if Liverpool beat Manchester United on Sunday.
"Yeah, finally I could play so I am so happy," Aguero told BT Sport.
"All the time not playing 90 minutes… the goal is good. Maybe we can win the Premier League tomorrow.
"Always Mendy tries to pass to me. [That was] the only one inside the box, I needed one touch or two touches – that is my show.
"Finally I got the goal, I am happy for that."
It was only Aguero's second Premier League goal of the campaign and first from open play.
He was only starting due to Guardiola's decision to make eight changes to the side that beat Paris Saint-Germain in midweek, with City defending a 2-1 advantage back in Manchester on Tuesday.
Aguero, whose 182 Premier League goals for City overall is only one shy of Wayne Rooney's single-club record of 183 set at Manchester United, believes he can still be the man for the big occasion before his contract expires next month.
"Always I'm ready. Like I said before, I'm feeling good, my knee is so good," he said.
"I just wait for the opportunity to play like today. If on Tuesday, I don't play, it doesn't matter - I want to be with my team-mates.
"Every player wants to play, but we'll see."
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?