Man Utd fans protest on Old Trafford pitch before Liverpool game
Supporters of Manchester United have gathered inside Old Trafford in an apparent attempt to disrupt preparations for the Liverpool game.
Manchester United supporters entered the Old Trafford pitch to protest against club owners the Glazer family after earlier gathering outside the team's hotel ahead of Sunday's game against Liverpool.
United's involvement in the breakaway European Super League, which swiftly collapsed, has reignited lingering sentiment against the ownership at Old Trafford.
The Glazers, who acquired the club through a leveraged buyout in 2005, have long been unpopular but have become the subject of increased criticism in recent weeks.
Fans gather before Liverpool match
Fans surrounded The Lowry Hotel, where United stay before home matches, on Sunday, letting off red smoke bombs and leading anti-Glazer chants.
The demonstration did not end there, however, with some supporters gaining access to the stadium and then the pitch.
Spectators are not currently allowed at Premier League stadiums due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said this week: "When the protests are going on, it's important that they go in a good fashion and that we keep it peaceful."
Defeat for United against bitter rivals Liverpool on Sunday would see neighbours Manchester City handed the title.
The match was due to take place at Old Trafford at 17:30 CEST, however there has been a delay and no confirmation on a new kick-off time as things stand.
According to The Athletic, a meeting has taken place to discuss the extraordinary events at Old Trafford, where club staff investigated whether any covid-19 bubble breaches have occurred given the pitch invasion by Manchester United supporters.
Te recomendamos en English
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC mayoral election: Which candidates have received the most endorsements?
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC mayoral primary: polling times and how to vote
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC Mayoral Primary: where do I vote?
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC mayoral primary: what documentation do I need to vote?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT When will the IRS start to send the $3,000/$3,600 Child Tax Credit payments?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT IRS Child Tax Credit portal: how can I use it to opt out and what other uses does it have?