Bayern Munich win ninth consecutive Bundesliga title
Bayern Munich have no equals in German football at the moment, and RB Leipzig's defeat at Dortmund confirmed their 30th Bundesliga title.
Bayern Munich claimed a record-breaking ninth consecutive Bundesliga title thanks to Borussia Dortmund's 3-2 win over RB Leipzig.
Last season's treble winners missed out on Champions League glory this season, but they remain far ahead of their closest rivals in German football. Bayern were set to have the chance to seal glory when hosting Borussia Mönchengladbach later on Saturday but goals from Marco Reus and Jadon Sancho, who struck twice after half-time, gave Dortmund victory over second-placed Leipzig at Signal Iduna Park to complete the formalities.
Before this staggering run, no team had won more than three successive Bundesliga titles.
Bayern equal Juventus record
Bayern have now matched deposed Serie A kings Juventus for the longest streak of domestic championships won by teams from Europe's top five leagues. The latest championship success for Bayern means they have won the Bundesliga 30 times since the league was founded in 1963, with Dortmund and Gladbach next on the list with five titles each.
Bayern have a 16th title since 2000, underlining their growing domestic dominance, and stalwarts Thomas Müller and David Alaba have both been champions with the club 10 times, setting a new record.
Alaba will leave Bayern at the end of the season, and Hansi Flick has also announced he will depart after barely 18 months at the helm, with the widespread assumption he will become the new Germany national team head coach. Leipzig boss Julian Nagelsmann will step in to try to continue the dynasty he was, until very recently, looking to bring down.
Te recomendamos en English
- E3 2021 Nintendo Direct conference & Treehouse at E3 2021: times, stream online, and how to watch
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Coronavirus US: Pfizer vs Moderna vaccine side effects
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why are Olympics named like that? Origin and meaning
- US News IRS delays: Is identity theft delaying stimulus checks and tax refunds?
- US News How have vaccine lotteries impacted vaccination rates?
- Copa America Who won the last Copa America and which country has the most titles?