Real Madrid: Mendy to miss rest of season with shin injury
Real Madrid have suffered another injury blow after left-back Ferland Mendy was ruled out for around three weeks with a shin problem.
Real Madrid's injury woes continued on Tuesday as left-back Ferland Mendy was ruled out for the rest of the season with a shin problem, leaving head coach Zinedine Zidane without all four of his first-choice defenders.
Real Madrid left-back Mendy expected to be out for three weeks
A medical report published by Madrid said the Frenchman had been diagnosed with "tibial perostitis", more commonly known as shin splints.
The report did not state when he would return, but AS expert Dr José González says Mendy can be expected to miss Real's final three games in the LaLiga title run-in.
“Recovery normally takes about three weeks,” Dr González said. “It's an injury that tends to occur as a result of overuse, overload and stress. It requires rest and rehabilitation.”
Madrid have published a total of 27 medical reports this season on players who have sustained injuries or tested positive for covid-19.
They missed the chance to go top of the standings when they drew 2-2 at home to Sevilla on Sunday and they trail leaders Atlético Madrid by two points after 35 games.
Varane and Carvajal also set to miss rest of season
Madrid head to Granada on Thursday and in addition to the absent Mendy, Zidane will be without his two main centre-backs Raphaël Varane and Sergio Ramos, plus first-choice right-back Dani Carvajal. Second-choice right-back Lucas Vázquez is also injured.
Varane could return for their last two games against Athletic Club and Villarreal, but the rest are expected to miss the remainder of the season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: Simone Biles, medal winners, athletes and results, 27 July
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA: why is the CDC recommending that vaccinated people wear masks indoors?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles out, Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: results & who won gymnastics team final
- Tokyo Olympics: Biles 'dealing with things internally' after shock withdrawal
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SURFING Tokyo Olympics 2021: USA's Carissa Moore wins surfing gold
- OLYMPIC GAMES Team USA hopeful Biles will recover to compete in Tokyo