Kroos' season could be over after covid-19 contact
Toni Kroos' availability for the LaLiga title run-in has been thrown into doubt after he was asked to isolate due to a covid-19 contact.
Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos has been placed in isolation after being in contact with a person who has tested positive for coronavirus. All tests conducted on Kroos up until this point have come back negative but he is now at home as per covid-19 protocols.
Madrid are playing away against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday in their penultimate LaLiga game of the season.
They are locked in a thrilling title race with Atlético Madrid and Barcelona, as their city rivals lead the standings by two points with only two matches to go.
Real Madrid issue Kroos covid-19 statement
"Real Madrid reports that our player Toni Kroos is currently in isolation after being in contact with a person who has tested positive for covid-19, although all tests carried out on the player have come back negative," read a statement from the club on Friday.
It will be hoped that Kroos' situation does not evolve as Fede Valverde's did last month.
Valverde initially had to isolate due to being a close contact before producing a positive test five days later which then ruled him out of a key Champions League match with Chelsea.
Kroos has been a key figure for Madrid this season, featuring in 28 of their league matches.
After a gruelling schedule, he was rested by Zinedine Zidane last time out against Granada ahead of the testing trip to San Mames.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA Gymnastics Women's Team Finals: participants, format, scoring
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Simone Biles’ family life: who are her parents and boyfriend?
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS What is Simone Biles' net worth?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 27 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Olympic Games: what are the 100m and 200m world records?
- US NEWS Are stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit payments leading to an increase in inflation?