Carlos Vela plays full 90 minutes for the first time in 2021 MLS season
The Mexican international played his first full game of the 2021 MLS regular season and Los Angeles FC lost 2-1 at home against New York City FC.
Carlos Vela only played 21 minutes in the season opener for Los Angeles FC after injury that kept him out for three straight games. In the first four games LAFC had a record of W-D-L of 1-2-2 without their No 10. He returned during week 6 of the regular season and LAFC lost 2-0 against Seattle and in the game he only played 20 minutes.
Back-to-back starts for Vela
Carlos Vela returned last weekend to the starting XI in LAFC’s 2-1 victory against Colorado Rapids. In that game, the 2019 league’s MVP gave his first assist of the season and was taken out after 60 minutes. He made his second consecutive start this Saturday at the Banc of California stadium against New York City FC and played the full 90 minutes.
“Obviously I have not reached full-fitness, but I am working hard in practice and in games to achieve that as soon as possible. I think this three-week break in MLS will be good for me to reach my level and perform as expected,” said Vela after the game against NYCFC.
Los Angeles Football Club suffered their first home defeat of the 2021 season on Saturday afternoon, falling 2-1 to New York City FC at Banc of California Stadium. Corey Baird gave LAFC the lead in the 56th minute with his third goal of the season, but the visitors scored twice in the final 20 minutes of the game to claim the win and drop LAFC’s record to 2-3-2 for eight points on the season.
“This is not the start that we wanted, but I am not worried because the team has the quality to be fighting for first place. Obviously the injuries suffered from many of our players have prevented us from reaching our best level, but once everyone is healthy we will be that team that everyone expects,” he added.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win