Tuchel savours incredible Chelsea Champions League triumph
Having suffered the pain of a Champions League final defeat with PSG last year, Thomas Tuchel was not to be denied in Porto on Saturday.
Thomas Tuchel savoured Chelsea's "incredible" Champions League triumph and said the approach to beating Manchester City was to be "a stone in their shoe".
Club-record signing Kai Havertz's first Champions League goal late in the first half was enough for the Blues to win the biggest prize in European club football in Porto on Saturday. City could only register one shot on target at Estadio do Dragão as Chelsea were crowned champions of Europe for a second time.
Tuchel was only appointed to replace Frank Lampard at Stamford Bridge in January and four months later the German has made them the kings of the continent. The 47-year-old suffered the agony of losing the Champions League final to Bayern Munich when he was Paris Saint-Germain coach last season, but had very different emotions this time around.
"To share it with everybody is incredible. We made it. Wow. I don't know what to feel," said the former Borussia Dortmund boss. "I was so grateful to arrive a second time [in the final]. I felt different. We were somehow... You could feel it getting closer, we had the focus. The [players] were determined to win this. We wanted to be a stone in their shoe. We encouraged everybody to step up and step out, to be more brave and create dangerous counter-attacks. It was a tough physical game. We had to help each other out."
Tuchel has masterminded three victories over City in just over a month, overcoming Pep Guardiola's side in the Premier League and FA Cup prior to this weekend's triumph.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United