Netherlands goalkeeper Cillessen to miss Euro 2020 after testing positive for coronavirus
Frank de Boer has withdrawn Jasper Cillessen from the Netherlands' Euro 2020 squad after the Valencia keeper tested positive for Covid-19.
Netherlands goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen will miss Euro 2020 after testing positive for coronavirus. The 32-year-old was forced to sit out the Netherlands' pre-tournament training camp in Portugal after returning a positive result last week.
Bizot called by the Netherlands
Cillessen has 60 caps for his country and was expected to be first choice at the Euros, but coach Frank de Boer has omitted the Valencia player from his squad. AZ keeper Marco Bizot, who has been part of the Netherlands' warm-up preparations, has now been included in the final 26-man group.
The Dutch Football Association (KNVB) confirmed the news in a statement on Tuesday, a day before facing Scotland in their penultimate friendly in the Algarve ahead of the tournament. Explaining his decision to leave out experienced keeper Cillessen, De Boer said at a news conference: "Let me start by saying this is incredibly sour for Jasper. I informed him of my decision this morning. I had to take the plunge. He tested positive for coronavirus and as a result missed an important part of our preparations. We don't know how long it will take until he is 100 per cent fit again. I don't want to taken any chances. We are on the eve of a European Championship and I want certainty."
Jasper Cillessen misses #EURO2020— OnsOranje (@OnsOranje) June 1, 2021
The goalie tested positive in a PCR test last week and went into self-isolation. Marco Bizot, who was already part of the group as the fourth goalkeeper, is now part of the official #EURO2020 squad.
Get well soon, Jasper! #WeTheWave
Tim Krul and Maarten Stekelenburg, of Norwich City and Ajax respectively, will now battle it out to be first choice for the Netherlands, with late call-up Bizot acting as a back-up. De Boer's side kick off their Group D campaign against Ukraine in Amsterdam on 13 June before facing Austria and North Macedonia.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?