Luis Enrique calls Brais Méndez into Spain squad
Celta Vigo announced the midfielder's call-up on their official Twitter account. The 24-year-old joins the squad but is not a replacement for Busquets.
Celta Vigo have confirmed Brais Méndez's call-up to the Spain national team on their Twitter account. The Galician team have caused a stir because it initially appeared that Méndez was replacing Sergio Busquets, but Luis Enrique has only called Brais into the squad for training and not to play at the European Championship.
Luis Enrique has an alternative list of players lined up in the event that there is an outbreak of the coronavirus and he is forced to change his squad before the match against Sweden, scheduled for next Monday but still pending confirmation because of the quarantine period that the national team must observe due to Busquets' positive result.
Fornals, Rodrigo and Soler called into squad
Shortly after the Brais Méndez news broke, the Spanish FA confirmed that Pablo Fornals, Rodrigo Moreno and Carlos Soler were also called into the squad as a precaution measure with concerns over an outbreak occuring. The four new members of the squad will train separately.
Ramos recovered but not in squad
The Asturian coach has prepared that call-up with many of the players from the Under-21s and some of those who have played in the qualifiers for the European Championship, but Sergio Ramos is still missing from the squad. The Real Madrid captain, however, has told those close to him that he is now fully recovered from his knee injury, to the extent that he has been cycling for several days.
Spain face Sweden in opener
The Spain squad return to training on Monday afternoon, although they will do so in groups. The RFEF doctors, Cota and Celada, have organised the squad into blocks of eight players who will train on two different pitches at Spain's training camp, Las Rozas. The isolation in bubbles will last until at least Thursday or Friday, which is when Luis Enrique hopes to be able to return to work with a full squad to prepare for the opener against Sweden on Monday at Seville's La Cartuja stadium.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?