Netherlands midfielder Van de Beek ruled out of Euro 2020
Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek will play no part in Euro 2020. The 24-year-old Manchester United player has suffered an unspecified injury.
Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek has been ruled out of Euro 2020 after picking up an injury.
Van de Beek misses pre-tournament friendlies
Van de Beek endured a difficult 2020-21 season with Manchester United, making only 15 starts for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side. The 24-year-old played no active role in the Netherlands' Euro 2020 warm-up fixtures against Scotland and Georgia.
It was announced by the Dutch federation – the KNVB – on Tuesday that Van de Beek will miss the tournament, and coach Frank de Boer has decided against replacing the former Ajax man in his squad.
"Van de Beek has to let the European Championship pass by," the KNVB announced on Twitter. "The midfielder is struggling with an injury. As a result, he is not available in time for EURO 2020. Frank de Boer will not call a replacement for Van de Beek."
The nature of Van de Beek's injury was not specified, but he had been seen training away from the main group. Van de Beek may have seen the tournament as an opportunity to prove a point, having been frequently sidelined at Old Trafford following his £34.7million move from Ajax last August, but he must now get himself fit for the 2021-22 campaign.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Ledecky going for gold, medal count, results, today 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Ledecky aiming for two golds in a day with Titmus in the way
- REAL MADRID Official: Real Madrid defender Varane signs for Manchester United