Diego Llorente set to return to Spain camp after negative test
Spain are set to be boosted by the return of Diego Llorente ahead of their Euro 2020 opener with Sweden after a negative COVID-19 test.
Diego Llorente is set to return to Spain's training camp on Friday after returning a negative test for coronavirus.
The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) said the Leeds United defender had become the second player in camp to test positive for covid-19 ahead of their Euro 2020 opener, with captain Sergio Busquets the first to have done so.
Llorente was removed from the team's base and was due to begin 10 days of self-isolation in line with covid-19 health protocols.
However, a statement from the RFEF said a follow-up test undertaken on Wednesday came back negative, and that there are indications of a "false positive" from the original test.
🚨 OFICIAL | Diego Llorente, negativo en los dos test PCR realizados tras abandonar la concentración.— Selección Española de Fútbol (@SeFutbol) June 10, 2021
➡️Los nuevos análisis realizados al central confirmarían que no está infectado.
➡️El viernes podría incorporarse a los entrenamientos.
ℹ️ https://t.co/3wHrk9tar3#SomosEspaña pic.twitter.com/aj16UkAq2b
Llorente will undergo further tests on Thursday and Friday and will be allowed to return to camp if both come back negative.
Busquets' positive result plunged Spain's preparations for their Group E opener against Sweden on Monday into chaos, with group training suspended and all members of the squad preparing individually.
It meant Spain's U-21 squad was drafted in for Tuesday's 4-0 win over Lithuania, a match that was supposed to be the main team's final warm-up for the rearranged tournament.
A 17-man parallel squad remains in place at Spain's base should any further replacements be needed.
Te recomendamos en English
- E3 2021 Ubisoft Forward conference at E3 2021: times, stream online and how to watch
- US News Which European countries accept vaccinated travelers from the US?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT $3,000/$3,600 Child Tax Credit: how do I know if should have received the IRS letter?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in Euro 2021? Saturday 12 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- ROLAND GARROS How many times has Nadal lost a match at Roland Garros?
- US News Fact check: can covid-19 vaccines make you magnetic?