Depay: "I want to play for Koeman"
The Dutch striker says "I've been negotiating with Barcelona for a long time" and makes it clear that his priority is to play at Camp Nou.
Memphis Depay spoke at the Netherlands' press conference ahead of Thursday's match between his national team and Austria.
"Everyone knows that I have been negotiating with Barcelona for a long time and that my dream is to play for Koeman," the striker said. Depay played for the current Barcelona coach with the Netherlands. Now with Frank de Boer at the helm of the Dutch national team, Depay remains the main forward for the international side.
Barcelona set to complete deal for Depay
Negotiations between Depay and Barça began a year ago when Koeman took over the Blaugrana. Due to financial difficulties, Barcelona have been unable to reach an agreement with Lyon in previous transfer windows. When new club president Joan Laporta raised his doubts over Koeman's future at the club, Depay paused to consider his own future.
Now, however, it seems that everything has been settled. Koeman has been confirmed as head coach for the coming season and the signing of Depay is now a matter of finding the right moment to close the deal. For the time being, reports in the Dutch press indicate that Frank de Boer has asked his players to focus on the European Championship and put aside any negotiations they may have with other clubs.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win