California unemployment benefits: is job hunting proof required to apply for aid?
California Employment Development Department announced on Thursday that the state will require those claiming benefits to prove they are seeking work.
California ended the majority of restrictions put in place to stem the tide of the covid-19 pandemic in the state 15 June. Now as the economy gets back on its feet the state’s Employment Development Department (EDD) on 11 July 2021 will reinstate requirements for Californians receiving unemployment benefits to be actively job hunting.
The requirement to search for work has been part of the state’s unemployment insurance program since it was set up in 1935. The obligation was waived in March 2020 to expedite payment of benefits in the face of the mass layoffs due to the covid-19 pandemic. It also went contrary to the stay-at-home order put in place in California to keep non-essential workers from going to their workplaces.
How can Californians prove they are job hunting?
When completing their weekly certification for benefits jobless Californians could answer “No” when asked if they had looked for work the week prior. Starting 11 July 2021 most claimants will need to answer “Yes” to maintain eligibility for collecting aid. Depending on which type of unemployment benefits a claimant receives different work search requirements will apply.
Starting July 11, 2021, Californians receiving unemployment benefits should begin looking for work to maintain their eligibility.— EDD (@CA_EDD) June 18, 2021
EDD will send claimants notifications informing them of the reinstatement of this requirement and what it means for them.
Regular unemployment insurance or extension claims requirements
Workers claiming regular unemployment insurance (UI) or extension claims are expected to search for “suitable work that is safe to return to and is comparable to the worker’s skills, experience, usual occupation, age and health.”
EDD will be sending claimants notices about any requirements on their specific claims in the coming weeks. In order to receive benefits workers claiming unemployment insurance will have to register on the state’s job board CalJOBS.
Workers can prove that they’ve made a reasonable effort in their job hunt through the following activities:
- Prepare for Job Searches: Signing up at CalJOBS, and through other job search and networking sites.
- Expand Networks: Inform others that you are looking for work and attending events where you could find job opportunities.
- Apply for Suitable Work: Send applications to suitable openings matching skills and experience.
- Participate in Training: Take part in training or educational courses to aid in landing a job but that will not interfere with accepting a suitable full-time position.
Californians will again have to show they're job hunting to receive unemployment benefits https://t.co/OJ0Dc5e6wj— Los Angeles Times (@latimes) June 18, 2021
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance requirements
Workers claiming Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) will also receive via post notices about any requirements on their specific claims in the coming weeks. Unlike regular UI claimants, they will not be required to register on the state’s job board CalJOBS but EDD recommends that they do to access its many useful tools including job training and networking opportunities.
PUA claimants can prove that they’ve made a reasonable effort in their job hunt through the following activities:
- Rebuild Business: Show that they are actively trying to attract business.
- Expand Networks: Participate in events, workshops related to activity or expand business.
- Establish Accounts: Independent contractors using online platforms can set up accounts on alternate relevant platforms.
- Participate in Training: Take part in training or educational courses that will help their business but that will not interfere with returning to work full-time.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Alexander-Arnold signs long-term extension with Liverpool
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TRACK AND FIELD How many olympic medals has Allyson Felix won in her career?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT 2(4)-2(2) Netherlands summary: score, goals, highlights | Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes