When do the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games start?
The 2021 Tokyo Olympics - the XXXII Olympiad will be the 32nd edition of the summer Games was rescheduled because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The 2021 Tokyo Olympics - the XXXII Olympiad (the 32nd edition of the summer Games) was originally due to run from 24 July to 9 August 2020 but was rescheduled due to the coronavirus pandemic. With Covid-19 cases surging worldwide, the decision to postpone the Tokyo Games was taken by IOC president Thomas Bach and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on 24 March last year.
New date for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games
Amid doubt as to whether the 2020 Games would go ahead at all, a week later, the IOC announced new dates for the event, almost exactly one year after the original. The 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games will be celebrated from Friday 23 July to Sunday 8 August 2021. The Olympic Torch relay began in Fukushima on 25 March and will reach Saitama on 8 July.
The Opening Ceremony for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will start at 20:00 hours local time JST, that’s 7 am EST in New York, 4 am PST in Los Angeles or 13:00 hours CEST in Madrid at the Olympic Stadium in the Japanese capital on Friday 23 July 2021.
The #OlympicTorchRelay continued though the city of Rikuzentakata yesterday.— #Tokyo2020 (@Tokyo2020) June 18, 2021
In this town lies the Miracle Pine Tree which translates to Kiseki no Ippon Matsu in Japanese 🌴
This tree survived the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, becoming a symbol of hope ❤️#Tokyo2020 pic.twitter.com/sAuyC4ANP0
The first events of the 2020 Tokyo Games start on Saturday 24 July with the final events on Saturday 7 August. The Games will be concluded the following day with the Men’s Marathon before the Closing Ceremony at the Olympic Stadium which starts at 20:00 hours local time JST, that’s 7 am EST in New York, 4 am PST in Los Angeles or 13:00 hours CEST on Sunday 8 August 2021.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Alexander-Arnold signs long-term extension with Liverpool
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TRACK AND FIELD How many olympic medals has Allyson Felix won in her career?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT 2(4)-2(2) Netherlands summary: score, goals, highlights | Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes