France's Dembélé to miss rest of Euro 2020 with knee injury
Ousmane Dembélé will be sidelined for the remainder of the European Championship after suffering knee damage in France's draw with Hungary.
France's Ousmane Dembélé has been ruled out of the rest of Euro 2020 with a knee injury.
Dembélé replaced against Hungary after coming on as substitute
The Barcelona winger came on after 57 minutes of Les Bleus' 1-1 draw with Hungary in Budapest but had to be withdrawn half an hour later.
According to head coach Didier Deschamps, Dembélé, who only managed 16 touches in his 30 minutes on the pitch, "took a knock" to his knee and felt further pain when he attempted a cross.
The French Football Federation (FFF) said Dembélé was sent for scans on Sunday, which showed he will be unable to recover in time to play a part in the remainder of the tournament.
Dembélé plagued by injury since joining Barcelona
It is the latest in a string of injuries that have blighted Dembélé's career since his move to Barca from Borussia Dortmund for 105 million euros four years ago.
Persistent problems with hamstring and thigh muscles have restricted the 24-year-old to 54 LaLiga starts in four seasons at Camp Nou.
Last season, Dembélé completed 90 minutes in the league on just five occasions.
France face Portugal on matchday three needing a draw to guarantee a place in the top two of Group F.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?