Keylor Navas ruled out of Gold Cup with Costa Rica
The veteran goalkeeper was not able to recover on time from his shoulder injury and he will not participate in the CONCACAF tournament next month.
Keylor Navas had to miss the CONCACAF Nations League finals with Costa Rica due to a shoulder injury he suffered with Paris Saint-Germain in the last game of the season. The veteran goalkeeper was optimistic he could recover in time for the Gold Cup tournament, but on Saturday he was officially ruled out.
On Saturday, the newly appointed manager of the Costa Rica national team, Luis Fernando Suárez, announced the preliminary list for the Gold Cup and Keylor Navas’ name was not included. This will be Suárez’ first tournament managing ‘Los Ticos’ and he confirmed that Navas, Óscar Duarte, Cristian Gamboa, Luis Díaz and Juan Pablo Vargas were not included because of their respective injuries.
Meanwhile, Jonathan Moya from FC Anyang and Elías Aguilar from JeJu United couldn’t make the trip to the United States due to the travel restrictions established by South Korea amid the coronavirus pandemic. Costa Rica is in Group C of the 2021 Gold Cup tournament and will make their debut on 12 July against the winner of the preliminary match eight.
Navas has missed the last four tournaments
Esta es la prelista de Costa Rica para la Copa Oro. Primera convocatoria de Luis Fernando Suárez. pic.twitter.com/MvnRwxZrLs— Andres Agulla (@aagulla_espn) June 25, 2021
The CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament is held every two years and the last time Keylor Navas participated was in the 2011 edition. There have been several reasons why the 36-year-old has missed the past four tournaments, but he is known to prioritise his club over the national team. In 2019, when completed his move to PSG, Navas declined to play in the edition of the Gold Cup, because he wanted to join the Ligue 1 side during pre-season.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds