Cuba miss out on Gold Cup action due to visa issues
The Cuba national team got stuck in Nicaragua ahead of their preliminary match against French Guiana in Fort Lauderdale and CONCACAF had to cancel the game on Saturday.
The Cuba national team was scheduled to play against French Guiana on Saturday night in Fort Lauderdale for the preliminary round of the Gold Cup tournament. Unfortunately, the team got stuck in Nicaragua with visa complications so CONCACAF had to cancel the game and gave Guiana the ticket to the final round.
“CONCACAF has been in regular communication with the Cuban Football Association regarding their travel to the 2021 Gold Cup Preliminary Round. Unfortunately, due to covid-19 related travel and visa challenges, and the required covid-19 testing regime, their match against French Guiana will not take place,” said a CONCACAF statement.
Cuba affected by covid-19 protocols
The Cuban football team arrived in Nicaragua last week to train ahead of the preliminary match against French Guiana, but couldn’t travel to the United States. They were supposed to arrive on Thursday to South Florida, but the covid-19 protocols slowed down their visa process.
“Given the current public health situation and the ongoing need for protocols to be adhered to, the health and safety of the participating teams cannot be compromised,” read the statement from CONCACAF.
Now French Guiana will automatically advance to the second and final round of the prelims to try to book their ticket to the group stage of the Gold Cup tournament that starts on 10 July. They will now face Trinidad and Tobago on Tuesday 6 July.
Recommended in English
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: times, stream, how to watch it online and what to expect
- THE GAME AWARDS The Game Awards 2021: list of nominees and the 6 GOTY contenders
- NFL LA Rams' WR Mike Williams latest to be put on covid-19 list
- EUROPA LEAGUE Have Barcelona ever played and won in the Europa League?
- GOLF When will Tiger Woods return to the PGA Tour?
- NFL NFL Fantasy Picks: Watch out for Wilson against Houston