Didier Deschamps decides to continue with France
French Football Federation president Noël Le Graët revealed there was no debate over Didier Deschamps' future as coach of the national team.
Didier Deschamps will continue as coach of the France national team, the president of the French Football Federation (FFF) has confirmed.
Deschamps oversaw a disappointing Euro 2020 campaign as France were dumped out at the last-16 stage by Switzerland. However, having led Les Bleus to World Cup glory in 2018 and the final of Euro 2016 two years prior, his stock remains high with the FFF. And, when asked by Le Figaro whether Deschamps is set to remain in his role, president Noël Le Graët offered an emphatic response, saying: "The answer is yes!".
He continued, "I received [the news] on Wednesday at Guingamp. The matter was settled in three minutes. His will is very strong to continue, mine is too. There was no debate on, 'What are we doing? And, 'How are do we do it?'"
🇫🇷 Noël Le Graët annonce le maintien de Didier Deschamps au poste de sélectionneur des Bleus malgré l'élimination dès les huitièmes de finale de l'Euro 2021. Deschamps sera bien là pour le Mondial 2022.— RMC Sport (@RMCsport) July 8, 2021
France boss since July 2012, Deschamps also led his country to the quarter-finals of the 2014 World Cup, where they were beaten by eventual champions Germany. He has triumphed in 76 of his 117 matches with the national team, giving him a 65% win rate. That is the highest ratio for any coach who has had at least 30 games in charge of France.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?