Why is Tennessee halting vaccines for adolescents?
The move in the Republican controlled state affects all vaccines for minors, not just those for covid-19.
The Nashville Tennessean first broke the news on Tuesday, the day after Tennessee's top vaccination official, Dr. Michelle Fiscus, was fired from her post.
This approach to vaccinations not only makes the recovery from covid-19 more difficult, but threatens vaccine take up for all infectious diseases in the future.
What reasons have been given for stopping all vaccines?
Republican lawmakers accused the health agency of attempting to pressure minors to be vaccinated.
In a June hearing lawmakers chastised the state's health department.
“The Department of Health is targeting our youth,” Republican Rep. Scott Cepicky said during the hearing. “When you have advertisements with a young girl with a patch on her arm all smiling, we know how impressionable our young people are.”
In a surprising move they then discussed dissolving the entire health department to stop its vaccine advertisements. Department leaders are scheduled to reappear before the lawmakers for more questioning on July 21.
Despite what top Republicans have claimed, there is a wealth of vaccine skepticism present in the GOP. This action in Tennessee could be a precursor to similar moves in other Republican controlled states at a time where the Delta variant is spreading across the country.
MCCONNELL: I’m perplexed by the difficulty we have in finishing the job…we need to keep preaching getting the vaccine is important…— JM Rieger (@RiegerReport) July 13, 2021
REPORTER: It isn’t all that perplexing. There are Republicans who are casting doubt on the vaccines…
MCCONNELL: I can only speak for myself. pic.twitter.com/Oq51pbfUMe
What actions have been taken to prevent adolescents from getting access to vaccines?
- If the health department must issue any information about vaccines, staff are instructed to strip the agency logo off the documents,
- The health department will also stop all COVID-19 vaccine events on school property,
- The health department will take steps to ensure it no longer sends postcards or other notices reminding teenagers to get their second dose of the coronavirus vaccines.
What has the reaction been?
The President of the Tennessee Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (TNAAP) Dr. Anna Morad stated on Tuesday that, "Actions that weaken Tennessee’s overall public health readiness are clearly a step in the wrong direction at the wrong time."
And Dr. Michelle Fiscus, the former head of the Tennessean vaccination program, said many people and lawmakers were buying “into anti-vaccine rhetoric and conspiracy theory instead of listening to actual science," and that she was being scapegoated for challenging the lawmakers.
Halting vaccine outreach - including not reminding teens to return for their second #covid19 shot - is horrifying and I worry will have tragic consequences for kids, families and public health in Tennessee and beyond. There is no reasonable or moral defense of the below: https://t.co/ww1Do3Feh4— Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton) July 13, 2021
What is the covid-19 situation in Tennessee?
This development is particularly bad in a state which has already been slow in its vaccine rollout. As of July 15, only 38.88% of the population is fully vaccinated.
In terms of cases and deaths, the state has seen 859,116 cases and 12,535 deaths. Tennessee ranks in the top five states with most cases per 100,000 people throughout the pandemic with 12,580 cases per 100,000 people.
Tennessee’s count of known delta variant cases rose from 27 on June 24 to 125 as of Monday, according to state virus data.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22