Real Madrid defender David Alaba tests positive for covid-19
David Alaba was officially unveiled as a Real Madrid player last week, but he will now have to isolate after a positive covid-19 test.
Real Madrid have confirmed new signing David Alaba has tested positive for coronavirus.
Alaba, who played in all of Austria's Euro 2020 matches, agreed to join Madrid following the expiration of his contract with Bayern Munich, where he had spent his entire career, winning 27 trophies.
Alaba replaces Ramos
The 29-year-old – who has taken Madrid's number four shirt vacated by Sergio Ramos – was officially unveiled at the Santiago Bernabeu on July 21.
However, his pre-season preparations have been hit by a positive covid-19 test.
Madrid revealed the news in a brief statement on their official website. They did not clarify whether Alaba was asymptomatic.
Benzema tests positive
Alaba, who has signed a five-year deal with Los Blancos, is the second Madrid player to test positive in as many weeks, after Karim Benzema also contracted the virus.
With Madrid having agreed to sell Raphael Varane to Manchester United, Alaba is set to lead a new-look defence this season.
Carlo Ancelotti's team were beaten 2-1 by Rangers in a pre-season friendly on Sunday – Alaba did not feature, but has been training with the squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- El Clásico Who is José María Sánchez Martínez, the referee for El Clásico 2021 Barcelona - Real Madrid?
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Real Madrid: injured and sanctioned players for El Clásico 2021
- Serie A Allegri dubs Inter title favourites ahead of Derby d'Italia
- NBA Nash cheers Nets first win: "It'll take a while, it won't be pretty"
- MLB Astros never doubted they would beat Red Sox admits Baker
- EL CLASICO Which player has scored the most goals in El Clásico history? All time top scorers