Brewers' Burnes ties MLB record by striking out 10 Cubs
Corbin Burnes struck out ten consecutive Chicago Cubs in the the Milwaukee Brewers 10-0 win. He became the third pitcher ever strike out 10 straight.
Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Corbin Burnes has tied an MLB record by striking out ten straight Chicago Cubs batters on Wednesday night in Chicago.
Brunes' historic night on the mound
Burnes’ first of ten consecutive strikeouts came against Frank Schwindel in the opening at bat of the second inning. The Brewers righty then struck out the next nine, taking his streak into the bottom of the fifth inning. Matt Duffy kept Burnes from breaking the Major League record with a single into right field.
Only two other players in the history of the league have struck out ten straight batters. The first pitcher to do so was Hall of Famer New York Mets pitcher Tom Seaver who set the benchmark against the San Diego Padres in 1970. The Philadelphia Phillies’ right hander Aaron Nola matched the record last June against the New York Mets.
Corbin Burnes joins Aaron Nola (June 25 of this season) and Tom Seaver (1970) as the only pitchers in MLB history to strike out 10 consecutive batters within a game. pic.twitter.com/NW4anibkvg— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 12, 2021
Brewers roll in shutout win
Burnes had each of the 10 Cubs batters swinging at third strike pitches as he struck out the side in inning two through four.
The Brewers went on to crush the Cubs 10-0, and Burnes went eight shutout innings and ended the night with 15 strikeouts.
Recommended in English
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Lewandowski and Ronaldo eye history – Champions League in Opta numbers
- REAL MADRID Marcelo set to leave Real Madrid for Brazil
- NBA Blazers' Damian Lillard wants $107 million two year extension
- NBA Blazers guard CJ McCollum out indefinitely for collapsed lung
- NBA Anthony Davis lauds in-form Lakers star Russell Westbrook
- NBA Mavs’ Luka Doncic admits having conditioning issues