Cristiano Ronaldo equals Iker Casillas' Champions League appearance record
Cristiano Ronaldo set to claim another piece of history having been named in Manchester United's starting XI against Young Boys.
Cristiano Ronaldo has equalled Iker Casillas' Champions League appearance record after being selected in the starting XI for Manchester United's clash with Young Boys.
Casillas holds the record after appearing 177 times in his glittering career across spells for Real Madrid and Porto.
Ronaldo set to break another record
However, he will have former team-mate Ronaldo for company, with the Portugal star set to add another record to his enviable list.
Ronaldo was selected for his second successive start since returning to United from Juventus, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's United looked to improve on last season's group-stage exit from the Champions League.
Ronaldo started and scored twice for United on Saturday in a 4-1 win over Newcastle United in the Premier League, marking his second debut in style.
Champions League's record goalscorer
The former Madrid forward is the Champions League's record goalscorer having found the net 134 times. Fifteen of those goals were scored during his first spell with United from 2003 to 2009, with the rest coming across subsequent stints with Madrid and Juve.
He has lifted the trophy five times, once with United and on four occasions with Madrid.
His last appearance in the Champions League for United came in the defeat to Barcelona in the final in May 2009, 12 years and 110 days ago.
By playing against Young Boys, Ronaldo's gap between Champions League appearances will be the fourth longest gap for the same club, behind Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Ajax, 2006-18, 12y 189d), Timmy Simons (Club Brugge, 2003-16, 12y 280d) and Steed Malbranque (Lyon, 2001-15, 14y 194d).
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?