Bare-knuckle fighter Justin Thornton dies at 38 after August knockout
The American fighter suffered a knockout 19 seconds into his BKFC bout against Dillon Cleckle on August 20.
American fighter Justin Thornton died on Tuesday after suffering a knockout on August 20 in a bare-knuckle boxing competition.
Thornton was hit 19 seconds into the bout by fellow American Dillon Cleckle in the BKFC 20 event.
Thornton dies at 38
After the event, held in Mississippi, USA, it was feared that Thornton's injuries could lead to problems with paralysis. As a result of an infection, he suffered multi-organ failure and consequently died.
BKFC president Dave Feldman confirmed news to MMA Junkie.
"This morning we were very saddened to be notified of the passing of one of our fighters, Justin Thornton, who competed at BKFC-20 on August 20, 2021," Feldman said on Monday in a statement to the website. "We join the rest of the combat sports community in sending our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones."
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22