Robert Lewandowski's priority is Real Madrid
The 33-year-old striker could request a transfer from Bayern Munich next summer and has Madrid as his first choice even if he has to reduce his salary.
Robert Lewandowski believes that joining Real Madrid would be a great way to end to his hugely successful career. AS understands that the Polish forward would prefer to sign for Madrid over any other club that might come knocking on his door.
Erling Haaland has been linked with a move to the Santiago Bernabéu but the Norwegian will be very difficult to lure to the Spanish with Manchester City and PSG both chasing his signature.
Lewandowski is expected to request a transfer from Bayern Munich next summer. He wants a new challenge in Europe, something away from the Bundesliga, where he has dominated for 12 seasons. In 339 games, Lewandowski has found the back of the net on 307 occasions for Bayern and in 187 games for Borussia Dortmund, he scored 103 goals.
Ballon d'Or candidate
Karim Benzema, Lionel Messi, Jorginho and Lewandowski are the favourites to win the next Ballon d'Or. The Bayern player was the favourite to win the 2020 Ballon d'Or, but Messi came out on top. He did, however, win The Best, beating Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Polish striker was rumoured to be close to leaving Bayern during the last summer transfer window. When Real Madrid made an offer for Kylian Mbappé, PSG's first reaction was to make two enquiries: to Bayern about Lewandowski's situation and to Borussia about Haaland. In both cases, as AS reported, the German clubs refused to sell.
Bayern contract ending
Next summer is expected to be different. Lewandowski will only have one year left on his contract, which expires in 2023, and Bayern will be forced to listen to offers for him. At Bayern, they look to cash in on their players and not lose them on free transfers. The Bundesliga club are already making efforts to try to renew his current deal. Lewandowski wants to wait until next summer to keep his options open, with plenty of suitors expected to come calling.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?