Fan hospitalised after medical emergency at St James' Park
A medical emergency in the crowd at St James' Park led to Sunday's game between Newcastle United and Tottenham being suspended.
Players were alerted to an incident in the ground's East Stand shortly before the 40th minute, with Spurs' Sergio Reguilon quickly alerting referee Andre Marriner.
Eric Dier and Oliver Skipp went over to the dugout to request medical assistance and a team doctor with a defibrillator ran across the playing surface, with Marriner pausing play and instructing the players to leave the pitch.
Marriner was then seen discussing the situation with a steward and a police officer before the players headed into the changing rooms as the fan continued to receive treatment before later being taken from the stadium.
The supporter who was in need of urgent medical assistance has been stabilised and is on their way to hospital.— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) October 17, 2021
Our thoughts are with them.
Both sides later returned to the pitch to play out the rest of the first half plus seven additional minutes of stoppage time, with Son Heung-min making it 3-1 to the visitors.
Recommended in English
- NFL “Nobody is satisfied here” Brady and the Bucs are ready to take on the Eagles!
- NFL NFL: Rams' Weddle set for stunning playoff comeback against Cardinals
- NFL Tom Brady vs Jalen Hurts: wild card appearances, stats and records
- USMNT Juventus boss praises USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie
- AFCON 2022 Khazri nets brace as Eagles of Carthage soar past the Lions
- AFCON 2022 Late blunder and Kessie miss cost Elephants