Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
It was widely believed that Philippe Coutinho's appearance milestone would result in a further payment to Liverpool, but this has been clarified.
Barcelona attempted to get rid of Philippe Coutinho in the most recent transfer market. They failed. The Brazilian still doesn’t fit neatly into the blaugrana starting XI and since arriving in 2018 to much acclaim - the money was huge but this was Liverpool’s perceived gem after all - it’s been one issue after another. Barça's most expensive signing continues to be a headache for them. Of the 160 million euros, €120m was fixed and €40m was in variables, which as of this week was expected to come into play.
Coutinho’s variables ruled out
If Coutinho plays in Wednesday evening’s LaLiga fixture against Rayo Vallecano, it will be his 100th appearance in the famous shirt. That milestone was believed to carry with it an extra payment of €20m being made as part of the ‘variable’ aspect of the agreement with the Anfield giants but according to Spanish paper Mundo Deportivo (MD), this is not the case.
You may also enjoy:
- Los Clásicos becoming one-sided
- Haaland and Mbappé might not be what Barça need - Ferrer
- "Messi left but someone better will come along" - Meca
- When is the next El Clásico set to be played?
- Busquets: Barcelona didn't deserve to lose El Clásico
- Lamentable scenes as angry mob surround Koeman's car upon Camp Nou exit
Their sources deny the existence of this clause and this should mean that Ronald Koeman will be able to field the creative midfielder without the cash-strapped club facing any additional outlay.
"Current executive sources and also those from the previous board of directors have denied to MD that they have to pay 20 million euros to Liverpool for [Coutinho] playing so many games," report the Catalan outlet, who point to English media getting similar confirmation from The Reds. This is good news for the club, which was already looking at paying €20 million for the Brazilian.
🔵🔴 La convocatoria del Barça ante el Rayo— Mundo Deportivo (@mundodeportivo) October 26, 2021
🚨 Koeman se llevará este miércoles a los 22 futbolistas que tiene disponibles para jugar en el Estadio de Vallecashttps://t.co/nueAiDbS57
Coutinho, despite the difficult situation that the club is going through, has seen the departure of players like Lionel Messi and the injuries of several of his teammates (including Pedri and Dembélé), and has an opportunity to prove his value to Koeman. He is looking to build on the 99 showings to date, which are split: 22 in 2017/18, 54 in 2018/19, 14 in 2020/21 and 9 so far in 2021/22.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 How long after the booster shot are you fully vaccinated?
- COVID-19 What is the natural rate of unemployment formula?
- NFL Which QB has the most 400 yard passing games in the NFL?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano injures himself performing classic goal celebration
- LALIGA Barcelona: Gavi taken to hospital with concussion
- NBA LeBron James 'frustrated' and 'angry' with covid-19 protocols