Barcelona hoping to offload Samuel Umtiti in January
The French defender could be on his way out of the club in the winter transfer window - among the options is AC Milan, to cover for the injured Simon Kjaer.
There's no place at Barcelona for centre-back Samuel Umtiti, even under Xavi Hernández and the player may be on his way out of the club in next month's transfer window. According to journalist Rudy Galetti, the 28-year-old is one of the options which AC Milan are studying as cover for Simon Kjaer who is facing six months out after rupturing the ligaments in his left knee.
Milan view Umtiti as a low-cost alternative to some of the other players they are looking at, seeing as the Frenchman doesn't figure in Barcelona's plans. Umtiti is under contract with the Catalans until 30 June 2023, but considering that he no longer plays and earns a high salary, Barça are looking into rescinding his contract
Umtiti's last game was in May
Umtiti has not played a single minute for the first team this season - his most recent outing for the Blaugranas was on 22 May 2021 in the 0-1 win at Eibar in Ipurúa, where he came on as a sub for the second half. Since then, he has practically vanished. He didn't figure in Ronald Koeman's plans - the Dutch coach preferred to pair Eric García and Piqué, and neither has he managed to impress Xavi, who is in agreement that it's time for him to move on.
Recommended in English
- NFL An Eagle no more: Brandon Brooks retires
- NFL Kwesi Adofo-Mensah all set to be named Vikings GM
- NFL NFL free agency 2022: the five best available quarterbacks
- NFC Chiefs injury report: Tyrann Mathieu in concussion protocol
- NBA Where did Kobe Bryant’s “Black Mamba” nickname originate?
- NBA Mourning Kobe Bryant: what's known about the helicopter crash?