Barcelona: Gavi taken to hospital with concussion
Bellerín struck the ball and the teenager took the full force of in the face. He was stretchered off with a cervical collar and will spend the night in observation.
Barcelona's league clash with Betis lasted just 32 minutes for Gavi. The teenager was on the receiving end of a fierce ball in the face, struck by Héctor Bellerín and as he fell, his head hit the Betis defender's leg. He was treated by medical staff out on the pitch and tried to continue but suffered a blackout while attempting to recover a loose ball. Again he was attended to by doctors, who decided to take him off the pitch on a stretcher anfd with a protective cervical collar. He was admitted to hospital as a precaution.
Crucial Champions League game
It is expected that Gavi will spend the next 24 hours in observation. He will also be subjected to a CT scan to rule out any head traumas. Unless there are no other setbacks, it is expected that Gavi will be discharged and given the OK to travel to Munich with the squad for Wednesday's vital Champions League clash with Bayern.
The Spain international, who looked lively during his time out on the pitch, was replaced by Riqui Puig on 35 minutes and not Frenkie de Jong who has been struggling with a muscular injury but was brought on for the final half hour.
Recommended in English
- NFL Tom Brady 'remains noncommittal’ about playing in 2022; Bruce Arians remains hopeful
- NFL What teams are left in the NFL playoffs?
- Real Madrid Benzema: "Madrid is everything to me, I feel at home here"
- SERIE A Vlahovic: Fiorentina say no offers for in-demand striker
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern want Lewandowski and Neuer to end careers in Munich
- NFL Buccaneers' Tom Brady picked up first career unsportsmanlike conduct penalty vs Rams