‘The Flash’ director defends Ezra Miller
Despite Miller’s criminal history, Andy Muschietti publicly supports them.
Ezra Miller has found themself to be the subject of controversy on numerous occasions over the past several years due to their string of crimes, which includes assault charges, burglaries, drug possession, harassment, etc.
This led many DC fans to doubt Miller’s future as Barry Allen, or The Flash. Especially since DC has scrapped entire projects before, like ‘Batgirl’ starring Leslie Grace, which was near completion before it was canceled.
However, production on ‘The Flash’ continued as planned and now the movie is set to release this June 16. While many plan to boycott the movie, director Andy Muschietti defended Miller and even wants them to star in a sequel.
“If [a sequel] happens, yes,” he said about Miller, who uses they/them pronouns. “I don’t think there’s anyone that can play that character as well as they did.
“The other depictions of the character are great, but this particular vision of the character, they just excelled in doing it. And, as you said, the two Barrys — it feels like a character that was made for them.”
A producer also defends Miller
Muschietti’s sister, Barbara, who was also a producer on the film, expressed her appreciation for Miller.
“In principal photography, Ezra was brilliant and the most committed and the most professional [actor],” she said. “Ezra gave everything for this role — physically, creatively, emotionally. They were absolutely supreme.”
Miller seeking treatment
Last year, it was reported that Miller was struggling with “complex mental health issues” and had begun treatment.
“Having recently gone through a time of intense crisis, I now understand that I am suffering complex mental health issues and have begun ongoing treatment,” Miller said in a statement. “I want to apologize to everyone that I have alarmed and upset with my past behavior.
“I am committed to doing the necessary work to get back to a healthy, safe and productive stage in my life.”