NewslettersSign inAPP
spainSPAINargentinaARGENTINAchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAmexicoMEXICOperuPERUlatin usaLATIN USAamericaAMERICA


IRS taxes: what to do if my refund check was lost or stolen? Can I get it back?

If your refund has been stolen, you do have a few options. Here is the guidance from the IRS.

Estados UnidosUpdate:
Impuestos IRS: ¿qué hacer si perdí o me robaron mi cheque de reembolso?¿Puedo recuperarlo?

The United States is in the midst of tax season. From January 23 to April 18, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will receive and process more than one hundred and sixty million tax returns this year.

The agency typically tasks around twenty-one days to issue a refund if the return was filed electronically and direct deposit information was provided. If you submitted a paper return and are expecting a refund in a paper check via the mail, the time frame may be extended to six to twelve weeks.

IRS Taxes: What to do if my refund check is lost or stolen? Can I get it back?

If the deadline set by the IRS passes and you have not received your tax refund, you can track the payment through the Check My Refund tool.

Once you’ve requested to track your check and confirm that it never arrived at your mailing address, you can contact the IRS directly at 800-829-1040 and request a replacement check.

If the paper check hasn’t been cashed, the IRS will cancel the original check and issue a replacement check, which you should receive within six to eight weeks.

If the paper check has already been cashed, the Bureau of Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim packet with specific instructions for completing the claim.

If the deposit never reached your bank account, the BFS will send a letter to your financial institution within six weeks of the claim, and then they will verify where the deposit went.

In any case, the investigation process can take up to 278 days.

Can I request a filing extension?

If, for some reason, you cannot complete the process before the deadline, 18 April, the IRS does allow taxpayers to file a six-month extension. However, you must request the extension before the April deadline. The extension does not apply to paying any taxes you owe, just the filling period.


To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?