Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 and other products disappeared from stores due to licensing issues, but these seem to have been solved.
Hideo Kojima is no longer at Konami, the most recent installment dates back to 2018 - Metal Gear Survive - and since then no project related to the franchise has been officially revealed, even though there is a movie in the works. As with Silent Hill, many fans remain expectant about whether or not the 35th anniversary will be the year of Metal Gear. Today is precisely its birthday, a moment that Konami has taken the opportunity not to announce a new installment, but to inform that the delisted games will return to stores.
It has done so in a tweet from the official account in Japanese. "The Metal Gear series, launched on July 13, 1987, celebrates its 35th anniversary today," they remind. “Preparations are underway to resume sales of the titles whose sales have been temporarily suspended." They refer, of course, to the classic versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, as well as other products reported by VGC in their news.
Games temporarily withdrawn
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD Edition (PS3)
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD Edition (PS3)
- Metal Gear Solid HD Edition (PS3)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD Edition (Vita)
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD Edition (Vita)
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Vita)
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PlayStation Now)
- Metal Gear Solid HD Edition: 2 & 3 (Xbox 360)
- Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (3DS)
- Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance (GOG.com)
- Metal Gear Solid 2 HD for Shield TV (Nvidia Shield)
- Metal Gear Solid 3 HD for Shield TV (Nvidia Shield)
All these games disappeared last November 2021. The Japanese company justified this by alluding to licensing problems, although from the outset they indicated that their plan was to re-release them when these vicissitudes were resolved. We are currently working on renewing the licenses for select historical archive footage used in-game, therefore, we have made the temporary decision to begin suspending the sale of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and all products that include these games."
Will there be a new Metal Gear? As of today, nothing official.
Source | VGC