NewslettersSign inAPP
spainSPAINargentinaARGENTINAchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAmexicoMEXICOperuPERUlatin usaLATIN USAamericaAMERICA

SOCCER

Pelé hospital admission “just monthly visit”

Pelé's daughter calmed concerns after the 82-year-old was admitted to hospital, and the man himself has now commented further.

Update:
(FILES) In this file photo taken on June 16, 2016, Brazilian retired footballer Edson Arantes do Nascimento, know as Pele, waves after being decorated with an Olympic Order Medal at the Pele Museum in Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil. - Football legend Pele gave Brazil a virtual pre-match pep talk Thursday November 24, 2022, as the national team prepared to make their World Cup debut, telling them: "Bring this trophy home." (Photo by Miguel Schincariol / AFP)
MIGUEL SCHINCARIOLAFP

Pelé has moved to reassure people his recent hospital admission was just a “monthly visit”. The three-time World Cup winner, regarded among the greatest players of all time, has been receiving medical care at home in Brazil.

Pelé underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his colon last year, and has been in and out of hospital since. His daughter, Kely Nascimento, said on Wednesday there was “no surprise or emergency” over her father’s hospitalisation after he was admitted earlier this week.

The 82-year-old was sent a message of support by the Brazil men’s squad competing in Qatar at the World Cup. Last month, he said he hoped to see Brazil’s national team capture a record-extending sixth title in Qatar

Pelé took to Instagram to show his gratitude for the support, sharing a picture of a building in Qatar with his image and the words “get well soon” lit up.

“Friends, I am at the hospital making my monthly visit,” he wrote. “It’s always nice to receive positive messages like this. Thanks to Qatar for this tribute, and to everyone who sends me good vibes!”

Rules

To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?