Real Madrid submits evidence to UEFA after Vinicius racism allegation in Benfica clash
The Spanish club has provided UEFA with reports and evidence after Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni allegedly directed racist abuse at Vinicius.

Real Madrid has announced that it has submitted all findings from its internal investigation to UEFA regarding the events that unfolded last Tuesday during the first leg of its Champions League playoff against Benfica. The match saw the activation of UEFA’s anti-racism protocol following alleged racist abuse directed at Vinicius Junior by Benfica’s Argentine winger Gianluca Prestianni.
The Spanish club said it has delivered all reports and available evidence to UEFA as the governing body reviews the incident that overshadowed the game.
Official Real Madrid statement
Real Madrid C. F. announces that today it has submitted all available evidence to UEFA regarding the incidents that occurred last Tuesday, February 17, during the Champions League match our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica.
Our club has actively collaborated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.
Real Madrid appreciates the unanimous support, backing, and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all areas of the global football community.
Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence, and hate in sports and society.
Kylian Mbappe explains what he heard from Gianluca Prestianni to Vinicius Jr. pic.twitter.com/w3N1dzD3Yd
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) February 17, 2026
What happened during the match
In the 51st minute, after scoring what proved to be the winning goal for Real Madrid, Vinicius ran to the corner flag and celebrated with his trademark dance. Shortly afterward, bottles and other objects were thrown from the stands, prompting French referee Francois Letexier to call players back toward midfield.
As Vinicius headed away from the corner, he continued celebrating and exchanged words with several opponents, including 20-year-old Prestianni. The Brazilian forward was also shown a yellow card by Letexier.
Moments later, according to Vinicius and several teammates, including Kylian Mbappe, Prestianni directed repeated racist insults at the Real Madrid star. Mbappe said the Benfica player called Vinicius “mono,” or “monkey,” at least five times.
Letexier immediately activated UEFA’s anti-racism protocol, halting the game for roughly 10 minutes and signaling the stoppage with the official X-shaped arm gesture. The pause led to tense scenes on the field, with players and coaching staffs from both teams involved in heated exchanges.
Conflicting accounts
During the incident, Prestianni covered his mouth with his jersey while speaking, preventing cameras from capturing exactly what was said. So far, there is no public audio or video that conclusively confirms the alleged insult.
The Argentine winger firmly denied the accusations on social media.
“I want to make it clear that I never directed racist insults at Vinicius Junior, who unfortunately misunderstood what he believes he heard,” Prestianni wrote. “I have never been racist toward anyone, and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players.”
Vinicius, who briefly considered whether to continue playing, spoke out after the match.
“Racists are, above all, cowards,” he said in a social media post. “They need to hide behind a shirt to show how weak they are. But they are protected by others who supposedly have the obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or in my team’s life. I even received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. It was simply a poorly executed protocol that did nothing. I don’t like being in situations like this, especially after a big win when the headlines should be about Real Madrid, but it’s necessary.”
UEFA opens investigation
UEFA has now opened a formal investigation into the incident, appointing an Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector to review the referee’s report, match documentation, witness statements from players and staff, and any audiovisual evidence provided by the clubs, including the material submitted by Real Madrid.
If discriminatory conduct is confirmed, UEFA could impose sanctions under its disciplinary code. Possible penalties include fines, partial stadium closures, and, in serious cases involving racist abuse, suspensions of at least 10 matches for the player involved.
The investigation is expected to move quickly. The decisive second leg of the playoff will be played on Wednesday, Feb. 25 at the Santiago Bernabéu in Madrid.
Related stories
Get your game on! Whether you’re into NFL touchdowns, NBA buzzer-beaters, world-class soccer goals, or MLB home runs, our app has it all.
Dive into live coverage, expert insights, breaking news, exclusive videos, and more – plus, stay updated on the latest in current affairs and entertainment. Download now for all-access coverage, right at your fingertips – anytime, anywhere.
Complete your personal details to comment