What is Cristian Stellini’s managerial record at Tottenham Hotspur?
Before being given the Spurs job on an interim basis the Italian oversaw some impressive wins.
After the departure of Antonio Conte last weekend the Tottenham Hotspur hierarchy decided that a quick fix was needed to guide the club through to the end of the season.
Cristian Stellini and Ryan Mason, both of whom were members of Conte’s backroom staff, will take charge on an interim basis for the remaining ten games. Stellini has worked as Conte’s assistant at four different clubs and he remains loyal to the former Juventus and Inter Milan coach.
“My relationship with Antonio is still the same,” Stellini said ahead this Monday’s trip to Everton. “Nothing has changed. I do the best for him before and I do the best for him until the end of the season.”
This is not the first time that Stellini has stepped in to lead the team in Conte’s absence and the 48-year-old has a pretty impressive record.
Stellini boasts 100% record as Spurs boss
Conte has struggled with health issues this season and was forced to miss a number of games while recovering from an operation. In his absence Stellini has taken charge of the side for four games and picked up four wins in that period.
Having already beaten Marseilles, Manchester City and West Ham United, Stellini extended his 100% record with a 2-0 win over Chelsea at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium back in February. It was Spurs’ first league win over Chelsea since 2018.
After that victory Stellini paid tribute to Mason, who has also alongside him that day: “We work in a team and we work very well, especially with Ryan [Mason] who helped me a lot.”
Less impressive stats as permanent manager
However while Stellini has proved an adequate caretaker this season, eyebrows were raised when the club decided to give him the role until the end of the season. His record as a head coach leaves a lot to be desired.
His only spell in charge of a professional side came in 2017 when he was named manager of third-tier Italian side Alessandria. That stint only lasted 16 games and he was promptly sacked in November having won only three games.
However Stellini insisted that the Spurs squad are still together after a tumultuous few days that saw first the departure of Conte and then the news that the club’s director of football, Fabio Paratici, had been issued a worldwide ban after his former club, Juventus, were found guilty of false accounting.
Stellini said: “We were in contact during that week and the players were away with their national team and focused on their match but obviously also on what happened here.”
“Now we have met, we spoke and we clarified everything. I felt the players are ready to be together and to fight together like a proper team.”
To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?