World Cup 2026

World Cup woes: U.S. town threatens to cancel soccer matches: “All we’re trying to do is protect our citizens”

Foxborough officials say Gillette Stadium may not receive a license to host matches unless an estimated $8 million security bill is resolved.

Foxborough officials say Gillette Stadium may not receive a license to host matches unless an estimated $8 million security bill is resolved.
BILLIE WEISS
Roddy Cons
Digital sports journalist
Scottish sports journalist and content creator. After running his own soccer-related projects, in 2022 he joined Diario AS, where he mainly reports on the biggest news from around Europe’s leading soccer clubs, Liga MX and MLS, and covers live games in a not-too-serious tone. Likes to mix things up by dipping into the world of American sports.
Update:

Foxborough’s status as a host city for the 2026 FIFA World Cup appears to be in limbo over how security will be funded during the tournament.

Gillette Stadium, home of the NFL’s New England Patriots, is due to host seven games at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, including a round-of-32 match and a quarterfinal clash. “It’s the equivalent of seven Super Bowls in 39 days of coverage,” said Bill Yukna, president of the Town of Foxborough’s select board, during a meeting earlier this week.

Security costs raise Foxborough concerns

Policing and providing security for “seven Super Bowls” requires an estimated $8 million investment to ensure public safety, the town believes. However, there is significant uncertainty about who will foot the bill, and time is quickly running out.

Safety equipment needs to be ordered as soon as possible, while the town’s fiscal calendar ends while the tournament is being played.

For games to be played, the town, which owns the land on which Gillette Stadium sits, must issue FIFA an entertainment license. However, Vice Chair Stephanie McGowan says that will not happen under the current circumstances. “We’re not prepared to issue this license unless everything is in place,” McGowan said at Tuesday’s meeting. “I’m gonna tell you, this board will not issue this license.”

Who pays for World Cup security?

Mike Loynd, president of the Boston 2026 host committee, said the host committee is responsible for public safety under the hosting agreement, but was unable to answer several questions about who would be fronting the cash.

McGowan explained that Foxborough believes World Cup organizers should be paying for the project, which The Kraft Group, headed by Patriots owner Robert Kraft, does to obtain a license for NFL games.

Town officials insist taxpayer money will not be used for funding, even with a promise that it would be paid back. Yukna revealed the Kraft Group is in talks to contribute a percentage of the cost, provided it is reimbursed by a federal grant, but that would still leave a significant amount unpaid.

Federal funding still unclear

The federal government has pledged to distribute $625 million among the 11 host cities in the United States, although how that money will be allocated remains unclear.

Mark Elfman, a member of the Town of Foxborough board of selectmen, said: “it baffles my mind that you guys are sitting here in front of me right now and how we still have no idea where this money’s coming from.

“It sounds like Foxborough is being the bad guys here but all we’re trying to do is protect our citizens,” responded Yukna.

Related stories

Get your game on! Whether you’re into NFL touchdowns, NBA buzzer-beaters, world-class soccer goals, or MLB home runs, our app has it all.

Dive into live coverage, expert insights, breaking news, exclusive videos, and more – plus, stay updated on the latest in current affairs and entertainment. Download now for all-access coverage, right at your fingertips – anytime, anywhere.

Tagged in:
Comments
Rules

Complete your personal details to comment

We recommend these for you in World Cup