INTERNATIONAL | AFGHANISTAN
Afghanistan women's football kit with integrated hijab launched
Afghanistan women's football team will be the first to wear a new hijab that is connected to the base layer under their national team shirt.
Danish sports brand Hummell launched the new Afghanistan national team shirt with a historic first for women’s football in the country.
The women’s kit features an integrated hijab in a base-layer shirt that enables the country’s female footballers to be play while being covered head to toe.
Former team captain Khalida Popal was instrumental in overseeing the development of the kit and worked closely with the Danish company in its evolution.
Popal stated, “It was a huge honour to captain my country but it was an even bigger honour to be seen as a role model and an inspiration for thousands of young girls and women in Afghanistan.”
Hummell’s, Christian Stadil claimed that the work with the Afghanistan Football Federation is indicative of an ongoing commitment to give the underdog top-billing.
“We don’t sponsor the biggest teams in the world, but we make partnerships with teams and clubs with a story to tell, like Afghanistan, he says”. “We try to meet the Afghan people where they are, and right now that is by helping the women play football with or without a hijab”.
Recommended in English
- NFL Have the Cincinnati Bengals ever won the Super Bowl?
- NFL How much do NFL players get for playing the conference finals?
- NFL How did the Cincinnati Bengals get their name? Origin and meaning
- TRANSFER MARKET Who are Arsenal targeting after losing out on Vlahovic to Juventus?
- WORLD CUP 2022 Which teams have qualified for the 2022 World Cup?
- REAL MADRID How long is Karim Benzema going to be out of action for?