Wolfsburg-Real Madrid: 11,000 litres of beer await the fans
: The city of Wolfsburg has gone into full party-mode for the visit of los blancos, the preparations include 11,000 litres of beer.
The Volkswagen Arena is a cosy 30,000-seater stadium that punches above its weight, a roof protects the fans from the rain but that won't be necessary as summer arrived in the city on Monday, temperatures reaching 22 degrees.
The visit of Real Madrid is a tonic for the wolfsburguers in a city built around a company mired in a scandal that shocked the world, but fans are revelling in their presence at this advanced stage of the Champions League, and the party has already started: a party that sees one of the best teams in the world rock up with 11,000 litres of beer chilling patiently, ready to be served in the stadium on Wednesday evening.
This is a historic occasion for the city. Not one single ticket came up on general sale, with prices between 40-80 euros, tickets which sold out weeks ago.
This is the most important game in the stadium's history, comparable to the visit of Pelé's Santos to Wolfsburgo at the Stadion am Elsterweg on June 3 1961. That stadium is just 1km from the current ground which was opened in 2002 at a cost of €63M, 45% paid for by City Hall and the other 55% paid for by Volkswagen.
The dimensions of the pitch are 105x68 and the bench won't need any warming due to the built-in heating in the seats, which is available in the entire stadium, served by an amazing 52 kilometres of heating pipes. Football fans will be in their element.
The blanco support will number about 1,100, fans coming from Spain and from the various peñas or supporters' clubs from across the old continent. Hotel Tryp will be base camp for the madridistas because that is where the match tickets and anti-ultra wrist bands will be handed out.
This is the fifth consecutive season that the club blanco and its followers will land on German soil for a Champions League battle, and only 200 tickets from Madrid's ticket allocation has been returned.
'Alles in ordenung' for the Champions League quarter-final first leg between Wolfsburg and Real Madrid.
Te recomendamos en English
- Space Missions Where did the SpaceX capsule splashdown?
- NFL Colts vs Rams: Eric Fisher possible starter, coming back after Achilles surgery
- Not this one Jimmy Greaves 1940-2021: English football's greatest ever goalscorer
- Soccer Crisis at Manchester United: Solskjaer rejects Ferdinand's Ronaldo
- PREMIER LEAGUE West Ham vs Manchester United live online: scores, stats and updates, Premier League 2020/21
- NBA NBA star Giannis Antetokounmpo visits Greece with mother and brother