Rafa Nadal beats Nishikori to equal Vilas’ record of 49 clay-court titles
The Spaniard beat his Japanese opponent in straight sets to claim his second trophy in quick succession after being crowned the champion in Monte Carlo last week.
Rafael Nadal equalled Argentine legend Guillermo Vilas's record of 49 clay-court titles with his ninth Barcelona Open after overcoming defending champion Kei Nishikori 6-4, 7-5 on Sunday.
Fresh from winning the Monte Carlo Masters last week, Nadal has now won his opening 10 matches of the European clay-court season ahead of his quest to land a record 10th French Open in June.
#RAFACT - Last time Rafa Nadal won two consecutive ATP titles was August/September 2013 (Cincinnati and US Open). He was Nº2 then— MisterChip (English) (@MisterChiping) 24 April 2016
Nishikori was left to rue a series of missed break point opportunities as the Japanese's 14-match winning streak in Barcelona came to an end.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?