Rafa Nadal beats Nishikori to equal Vilas’ record of 49 clay-court titles
The Spaniard beat his Japanese opponent in straight sets to claim his second trophy in quick succession after being crowned the champion in Monte Carlo last week.
Rafael Nadal equalled Argentine legend Guillermo Vilas's record of 49 clay-court titles with his ninth Barcelona Open after overcoming defending champion Kei Nishikori 6-4, 7-5 on Sunday.
Fresh from winning the Monte Carlo Masters last week, Nadal has now won his opening 10 matches of the European clay-court season ahead of his quest to land a record 10th French Open in June.
#RAFACT - Last time Rafa Nadal won two consecutive ATP titles was August/September 2013 (Cincinnati and US Open). He was Nº2 then— MisterChip (English) (@MisterChiping) 24 April 2016
Nishikori was left to rue a series of missed break point opportunities as the Japanese's 14-match winning streak in Barcelona came to an end.
Te recomendamos en English
- 2021 MLS SEASON Inter Miami: 2021 MLS regular-season schedule
- SERIE A Cristiano Ronaldo missing for Juventus' trip to Atalanta
- QATAR 2022 Tim Cahill, aiming for success in new Aspire Academy role
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey winners list: who has lifted the most Copas?
- BASEBALL Dodgers blow as Cody Bellinger suffers hairline fracture in left fibula
- NBA Simmons backs Embiid for MVP: "I don't know how to stop him!"