Athletic Club secure fifth league title
Atlético Madrid women's team ultimately played a key role in the title race after they beat Barcelona 0-1. Athletic have a 4 point gap with one game to go.
Athletic Club Bilbao women's team won the Spanish league title today and claimed their fifth title in the process. They now lead the all time champions podium with five titles and leap-frog both Barcelona and Levante who have four respectively
The girls from the Basque country have finally broken the deadlock that Catalan side had imposed on the league securing the past four consecutive leagues. Both Athletic and Barça will represent Spain during next season's Champions League.
Athletic won away from home earlier on Sunday morning, beating Oviedo Moderno 0-3 and just needed a slip up from the Catalan side. A solitary goal from Atleti's Esther González in the 36th minute was enough to secure maximum points for the Madrid based side and handed the title to the Basque team.
This is the fifth league title for Athletic with the previous titles coming in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?