France coach Didier Deschamps is considering leaving two of his star players, Antoine Griezmann and Paul Pogba, on the bench against Albania.
According to L’Equipe, Deschamps saw enough in France’s opening group match against Romania, a 2-1 win, to decide that Anthony Martial and Kingsley Coman deserve a place in the starting line-up ahead of the Atlético and Juve stars. The number of games played by Griezmann and Pogba throughout the domestic season, Albania’s perceived role as a complete underdog in the match and under-par performances from the two players have all conditioned Deschamps’ thinking.
Griezmann did not play particularly well against Romania and was taken off in the second half shortly after France conceded. The French press poured criticism on the striker, who had been built up a decisive player for Les Bleus before the tournament. Pogba, meanwhile, showed a few flashes of his ability but was well below what has become habitually expected of him. The Juve midfielder was also substituted by Deschamps with France chasing victory.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness