GRUPO F | PORTUGAL
Cristiano sets new Euros appearances record
Against Hungary, Cristiano Ronaldo made his 17th appearance in the final phase of the Euros. He also became the first player to score in four editions of the tournament.
Today's meeting with Hungary will be one which Cristiano Ronaldo won't forget in a hurry; the No.7 rewrote two records in the history of the European Championships in one afternoon: he became the player to have made the most appearances in the final stages of the competition - 17, overtaking the previous record holders Lilian Thuram and Edwin van der Sar, who made 16 appearances for France and Holland respectively.
And that wasn't all. He also became the first player to score in four editions of the Euros - Portugal 2004, Austria-Switzerland 2008, Poland-Ukraine 2012 and France 2016.His two goals against Hungary today bring his personal tally in the Euros to eight - just one behind the record holder, Michel Platini who scored nine for France in the 1984 edition on home soil.
Only six other players have appeared in four editions at the final phase - Lothar Matthäus, Peter Schmeichel, Aron Winter, Edwin van der Sar, Lilian Thuram and Alessandro Del Piero.
Against Hungary Cristiano gained his 129th cap for Portugal, he is the player to have represented his country more times than anyone else after overtaking Luis Figo's record of 127 caps in last weeks' meeting with Austria.
Te recomendamos en English
- India news Indian schools and colleges remain closed but children are expected to study at home
- US EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS $400 employment benefit: how long will it last?
- Haaland says Dortmund boy wonder Moukoko is 'a lot better than I was'
- World Cup 2022 Work continuing non-stop at Lusail Stadium, host of the World Cup final 2022
- BUNDESLIGA Bayern hopeful on new Alaba deal; want fair price for Thiago
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid change plan and want Dani Ceballos to return