GRUPO F | PORTUGAL
Cristiano sets new Euros appearances record
Against Hungary, Cristiano Ronaldo made his 17th appearance in the final phase of the Euros. He also became the first player to score in four editions of the tournament.
Today's meeting with Hungary will be one which Cristiano Ronaldo won't forget in a hurry; the No.7 rewrote two records in the history of the European Championships in one afternoon: he became the player to have made the most appearances in the final stages of the competition - 17, overtaking the previous record holders Lilian Thuram and Edwin van der Sar, who made 16 appearances for France and Holland respectively.
And that wasn't all. He also became the first player to score in four editions of the Euros - Portugal 2004, Austria-Switzerland 2008, Poland-Ukraine 2012 and France 2016.His two goals against Hungary today bring his personal tally in the Euros to eight - just one behind the record holder, Michel Platini who scored nine for France in the 1984 edition on home soil.
Only six other players have appeared in four editions at the final phase - Lothar Matthäus, Peter Schmeichel, Aron Winter, Edwin van der Sar, Lilian Thuram and Alessandro Del Piero.
Against Hungary Cristiano gained his 129th cap for Portugal, he is the player to have represented his country more times than anyone else after overtaking Luis Figo's record of 127 caps in last weeks' meeting with Austria.
Te recomendamos en English
- Barcelona Leo Messi retirement date not far away warns Valverde
- REAL MADRID Bale: Real Madrid forward breaks his injury record
- PREMIER LEAGUE Mourinho: "The only thing I can say is Eriksen will be a free agent at the end of the season"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Baresi's words for Van Dijk akin to "praise from the king" says Klopp
- BOCA JUNIORS Maradona: "They have less foresight than the captain of the Titanic"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester City: Arteta "ready" to manage but Pep hopes he stays