Atlético sign teenage promise Diogo Jota
The club confirmed the signing of the 19-year-old winger, who joins on a five-year deal from Paços de Ferreira and was a target for several clubs, including Barcelona.
Atlético confirmed today that they have signed promising winger Diogo Jota who joins on a five- year contract from Portuguese side, Paços de Ferreira. The 19-year-old has already put his signature to the contract and will get to know his new team mates tomorrow: "To be a part of such a big club makes me proud", were his first words as a Rojiblanco.
Atlético beat off competition from a number of Portuguese clubs, including Benfica for Jota, who has also impressed various English clubs and Barcelona. AS reported back in February that Atlético were interested in the player and had failed to seal an agreement in the January window. A fee of around seven million euros exchanged hands for the teenager who is expected to be part of the Portugal squad at Rio 2016.
Recommended in English
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is Roe v Wade in law? What happened in 1973?
- NFL How many members of the Dallas Cowboys got infected with covid? How long will they be out?
- Ballon d' Or Casillas baffled by Ballon d'Or outcome
- PSG must find best tactical balance without injured Neymar – Pochettino
- BUNDESLIGA Why are Bayern Munich playing games behind closed doors?
- USMNT Gio Reyna returns to training with Borussia Dortmund