Víctor Valdés: goalkeeper joins Aitor Karanka's Middlesbrough
The former Barça and Spain keeper has completed a move to the Premier League outfit, signing a two-year deal at the Riverside.
Ex-Barcelona goalkeeper Víctor Valdés has joined newly-promoted Premier League side Middlesbrough, the club have confirmed.
The 34-year-old, released by Manchester United last week, has put pen to paper on a two-year deal at the Riverside Stadium.
He links up on Teesside with fellow Spaniard Aitor Karanka, who took over as Boro manager in 2013 and has led them back to the top tier after seven years away.
Karanka told Middlesbrough's official website: "You can't imagine how delighted I am because it's not usual to bring players like him to recently promoted teams.
"I'm really pleased because he is really committed. All the the conversations we've had he knows why he is here and he is coming to add to what we have.
"He knows how strong this group is. It's a privilege for us to be able to bring a player like this to the club."
Valdés, who left Barça in 2014, signed for United in January 2015 but had a troubled relationship with former Old Trafford boss Louis van Gaal.
He made just two first-team appearances for the Red Devils before being loaned to Belgian outfit Standard Liege at the turn of this year.
World Cup-winner Valdés, who won 20 caps for Spain, played eight times for the Jupiler Pro League club before having his loan stint cut short in April.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?