Cerezo: "Nobody can deny that Costa is a great player"
The Atlético Madrid president told the press: "We're looking for a new striker, and we always like to get the biggest players we can. I don't know if Costa has talked to Conte or not..."
- LaLiga Santander, matchday 20: Alavés-Atlético Live.
Atlético Madrid president Enrique Cerezo appeared in front of the press after the La Liga fixtures draw on Friday - where the Rojiblancos were picked out to play Alavés at the Vicente Calderón on the opening day of the season - and talked about the situation of Diego Costa, amongst other issues.
"We're looking for a new striker, and we always like to get the biggest players we can," said Cerezo. "[Costa] played for us for a few years and he's a really good player, no one can deny that. I don't know if Costa has spoken to Conte, but we're working to hard bring the best players to Atléti."
Final season at Vicente Calderón
The president also spoke about next season being Atlético's last at Vicente Calderón after spending 50 years at the ground. The side's final game at the stadium in South Madrid will come against Athletic Bilbao. "They're a great rival for us to say goodbye to the stadium, we are descendants of theirs after all," he said.
On 2016-17's objectives, Cerezo affirmed that the club will "try to do better" than last season, when Atlético finished third in the league and lost the Champions League final to Real Madrid. "We hope to finish in the top three, go far in the Copa Del Rey, and try to win the Chapions League for the first time."
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL How and where to watch Patriots vs. Jets
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester United vs Liverpool: times, TV and how to watch online
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid: why is this game called El Clásico?
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series