Roig cites comments ahead of Sporting game as root of Marcelino dismissal
The Villarreal president stated: "It's a question of principles at Villarreal, no-one can go against the values that this club stands for".
Villarreal president Fernando Roig, spoke about the motives surrounding the dismissal in early August of longstanding coach Marcelino Garcia Toral. The president didn't mention the Asturian coach's name directly but heavily insinuated that the pre-match comments before the last game of the 2015/116 season (when Marcelino claimed he's like to see Sporting survive in the top flight a week ahead of the key Sporting-Villarreal LaLiga match) were key to the subsequent dismissal of the 51 year old.
"At this club, key decisions are made by the president, for good or bad. It was my decision to dismiss the head coach on August 11 and I took that course of action as there were things going on that I didn't like" admitted Roig today.
Roig also took the opportunity to appease the Villarreal supporters after the club failed to secure a place in the Champions League group stage and two lackluster draws in the opening games of the ne campaign: "An exciting season is in store for us and I don't share this early season nervousness. We'd all have loved to qualify for a Champions League place but it wasn't to be. I know of so many clubs who would gladly swap places with ourselves" he concluded.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August