Nadal targetted by hackers
The latest leaks from Russian hacker group Fancy Bears features documents which they have obtained from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), concerning Rafa Nadal. According to the information which has been leaked, the former world No.1 was granted permission to use therapeutic drugs which are listed on WADA's prohibited list on two separate occasions - in 2009 and 2012, years which coincide with periods when he was recovering from knee injuries. Both case of Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) were signed by International Tennis Federation doctor Stuart Miller.
The first authorization granted Nadal to use steriod medication betamethasone from 23rd to 25th September 2009: 3 milligrammes, twice, via intramuscular injection. That year, Nadal suffered quadriceps tendinitis affecting both knees. He lost to Robin Soderling at the French Open and missed Wimbledon. He was out of action for three months, from June to August. Betamethasone is a steroid with anti-inflammatory properties.
The second exemption was granted in 2012 when Nadal was forced to miss the London Olympics and was sidelined for seven months due to a chronic patellar tendon injury affecting his left knee. The TUE was authorized for the period from 30th July to 8th August, when Nadal was convalescing, with a 1 milligramme dose of Cortrosina (Tetracosactide) every three days - Cortrosina is a corticosteriod which is also used for anti-inflammatory purposes.
The Fancy Bears leak focuses on 26 sportsmen and women from nine different countries, including Justin Rose (golf), Mo Farah (athletics) and Laszlo Cesh (swimming). In total, documents relating to 66 athletes have been leaked. Nadal is the second Spaniard to be targetted, following archived papers detailing permission given to Mireia Belmonte to take Salbutamol - a drug used in the treatment of asthma.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What will the new IRS income tax brackets be for 2021?
- Coronavirus stimulus checks IRS extends $500 stimulus check for kids deadline - when is the new date and how do you claim it?
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Who are the candidates for 2020 US Elections besides Trump and Biden?
- US ELECTIONS Will Amish people vote in the 2020 USA Elections?
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live online updates: cases, deaths, stimulus checks and latest news
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online updates: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks, latest news