Marbella not Real Madrid, only Spanish team with 100% record
The team from Spain's Costa el Sol have won all five league games and the side coached by ex Racing player Mehdi Nafti currently top their 2B group.
Pep, Carlo...but no longer Zidane
It was all about winning for a select few clubs in the early part of the season but Real Madrid's 1-1 draw with Villarreal last night ended their involvement in the 100% club. Manchester City and Bayern Múnich are establishing an early command in their leagues with each side boasting only victories so far in the 2016/17 league campaign in the Premier League and Bundesliga respectively. An early report card that few sides across the continent - even in lower leagues - can boast of.
In Spain another less celebrated side can claim a similar honour and they can be found on Malaga's Costa del Sol. Marbella Fútbol Club are now the only team in LaLiga, Segunda and 2B to have won all five league matches in the 2016/17 campaign and currently top their 2B group with 15 points. They are the without doubt the revelation in the Spanish game and their feat is remarkable given that the Blanquillos only managed to avoid relegation to 3a in the last match of the 2015/16 season.
The club are coached by former Racing Santander player Mehdi Nafti and the impact of the new coach has been immediate with wins for Marbella over Recreativo (3-1), Linares (1-2), Córdoba B (3-1) and Mancha Real (1-2). Yesterday they saw off Ejido 2012 (1-0). Next up is an away trip to La Roda on Sunday.
Marbella have the honour of being among an elite in European football along with luminaries such as Manchester City and Bayern Múnich, (Bayern beat Hertha on Wednesday evening to end the capital club's 100% run). Other clubs across Europe to have also started with a 100% strike rate are Dutch side Feyenoord, Istanbul BB in the Turkish Superlig and Swiss outfit FC Basel. Eintracht Braunschweig and Serie B Citadella also warrant a mention for their excellent starts in the German and Italian second tiers respectively.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Why did WHO skip letter Xi and name Omicron the new covid variant?
- NFL What is Dak Prescott contract with Dallas Cowboys? salary and duration
- US NEWS Shooting in Oxford, Michigan high school: how many victims and who is the suspect?
- CHRISTMAS NYC Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting: times, price tickets, TV and how to watch
- COVID-19 How many Covid-19 variants have been there besides Omicron? what are their differences?
- NFL Why are the Green Bay Packers called cheeseheads? What kind of cheese are the cheeseheads?