Rosberg takes Formula One title from Hamilton
The German driver won his first Formula One world championship on Sunday after finishing second in a tense Abu Dhabi Grand Prix won by his Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
Germany's Nico Rosberg won his first Formula One world championship on Sunday after finishing second in a tense Abu Dhabi Grand Prix won by Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
Frayed nerves for victory
After all the suspense and expectation, the race saw Hamilton chalking up his 10th win of the season, and fourth in a row, but powerless to do anything about the championship outcome despite making every effort. His attempt to push Rosberg into the clutches of those behind him, by deliberately slowing the pace in the closing laps to the concern of team bosses, produced a nail-biting finish with the top four separated by just 1.6 seconds.
An entry in the history books
Rosberg, who had needed only to finish in the top three to be sure of the title, held position to become his country's third champion after Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel. The son of 1982 title-winner Keke Rosberg is also only the second son of a world champion, after Britain's Damon Hill, to take the crown.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- GAMING NEWS Genshin Impact: how to download free in PS4, PC, iOS and Android
- US Election 2020 What did Trump say about vote by mail in debate against Biden?
- Coronavirus India Covid-19 cases surpass 6.2 million; vice-president Venkaiah Naidu tests positive
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: how much would be paid to children and adults in new HEROES Act?
- US NEWS US elections 2020: What did moderator Chris Wallace and Trump argue about?