Rosberg takes Formula One title from Hamilton
The German driver won his first Formula One world championship on Sunday after finishing second in a tense Abu Dhabi Grand Prix won by his Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
Germany's Nico Rosberg won his first Formula One world championship on Sunday after finishing second in a tense Abu Dhabi Grand Prix won by Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton.
Frayed nerves for victory
After all the suspense and expectation, the race saw Hamilton chalking up his 10th win of the season, and fourth in a row, but powerless to do anything about the championship outcome despite making every effort. His attempt to push Rosberg into the clutches of those behind him, by deliberately slowing the pace in the closing laps to the concern of team bosses, produced a nail-biting finish with the top four separated by just 1.6 seconds.
An entry in the history books
Rosberg, who had needed only to finish in the top three to be sure of the title, held position to become his country's third champion after Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel. The son of 1982 title-winner Keke Rosberg is also only the second son of a world champion, after Britain's Damon Hill, to take the crown.
Te recomendamos en English
- Entertainment The Oscars 2021: when are nominations announced and when is the ceremony?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks $1,400 third stimulus check: do any Republicans support the bill?
- American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 $400 unemployment benefits: how long has the House extended them?
- PLAYSTATION How to download Ratchet & Clank for free on PS4 & PS5: dates, times & availability
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Why was there a proposal for a $10,000 stimulus check and could it pass?
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 $400 new weekly unemployment benefits: when are they coming?