Barcelona invite Chapecoense to play next year's Trofeo Gamper
The club issued a statement this morning to announce that they have sent the Brazilian club a formal invitation to take part in the 52nd edition of the summer tournament. Juventus-Barcelona live online: ICC 2017
LII Trofeo Gamper
FC Barcelona announced this morning that they have sent a formal invitation to Chapecoense to take part in next year's Trofeo Joan Gamper - their traditional, pre-season curtain raiser. The club explained that they want to pay tribute to the Brazilian club who lost nearly all of their playing staff and coaching staff in a tragic plane crash which claimed 71 lives last week.
In the press release, Barcelona add that they "would like to collaborate on the institutional and sporting reconstruction of the Club, and help to recover the competitive level that it had".
Chapecoense were posthumously crowned champions of the 2016 Copa Sudamericana - the final of which they were due to contest when the plane in which they were travelling to the final in, crashed close to Medellín.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 3 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Tokyo Olympics: Warholm breaks own record of 46-second in 400 m hurdle gold run
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS How many Olympic medals has Simone Biles? What's her position in US historical ranking?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: Belarus must answer to IOC over Tsimanouskaya saga
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics Recap: Warholm hurdles into history, Durant inspires USA into basketball semis